EVERY SATURDAY MORNING we take a look at all the best comments left on the site by our readers over the past seven days.
This week there was talk about the Eighth Amendment, sexting, the Leaving Cert and Muhammad Ali.
The 5 most popular comments this week:
1. A flight to Germany was diverted to Dublin after a medical emergency on board. However there were not enough hotel rooms available for everyone due to Bank Holiday Monday so the flight had to carry on to Frankfurt that evening. Evais Doves commented to say:
Headline should read “Cheaper for plane to fly back to Germany than pay over the top hotel prices in Dublin”
That comment got 1,300 likes.
His comment got 1,232 green thumbs.
It’s a sad day when the Irish can’t take jokes anymore
His comment got 1,229 green thumbs.
Whether you agree with abortion or not. Whether your religion allows it or not. Women should be able to make the decision themselves.
1,082 others appeared to agree.
5. A French extremist was arrested carrying an arsenal of weapons and allegedly planning to attack the Euro 2016 football championships in France. Timmay Timeo replied to a commenter who questioned the man’s need for 20 balaclavas.
Not necessarily, probably an Aldi special offer, buy 1 get 19 free
That comment got 1,066 likes.
The top 5 articles which received the most comments this week
1. UN: Ireland must compensate woman forced to travel abroad for abortion (This article got 605 comments)
2. Hundreds turn out for ‘Celebrate the 8th’ anti-abortion event in Dublin (This article got 508 comments)
3. People are divided on the Eighth Amendment, but half want it repealed (This article got 366 comments)
4. We asked every TD if they want to repeal the Eighth Amendment – here’s what they said (This article got 363 comments)
5. Poll: Would you baptise your child just to get them into a school? (This article got 330 comments)
I was never much of a boxing fan but I was in awe of Muhammad Ali. As a kid I used to love watching his fights and always looked forward to the interviews afterwards. Not only was he the greatest boxer of all time but he was so intelligent and witty he could have been a great writer had he not been struck down by Parkinson’s. I do not think it’s an exaggeration to say that he was the greatest sportsman of the 20th Century. He was certainly the most famous. Rest in Peace Ali, you will always be the greatest in my eyes.
When a boy in Japan was found alive, nearly a week after his parents left him in a forest as punishment, the father said his son had forgiven them. Shane Freeney believes the boy will remember it later in life:
Just wait till this boy has to choose a Nursing home for his Dad !
‘What are you doing’?
I’m in bed eating cereal.
‘What would you be doing if I was there with you’?
I’d be eating my cereal.
‘No, I mean – if there was no cereal’
I’d get out of bed and get some cereal.
See any good comments? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More: Top comments from previous weeks >