EVERY SATURDAY MORNING we take a look at all the best comments left on the site by our readers over the past seven days.
This week there was a lot of talk about Donald Trump (as usual), the killing of a woman in London, and the plane that crash-landed in Dubai.
The 5 most popular comments this week
1. Naked pictures of Melania Trump, Donald Trump’s wife, surfaced from a 1995 photoshoot for a French men’s magazine after they were recently republished by the New York Post.
David Van-Standen said:
Please God, don’t let the Trump campaign publish a photo of Hillary naked in response!
His comment received 1268 green thumbs.
2. An Emirates plane coming from India crash-landed in Dubai airport earlier in the week. No passengers were killed, although five suffered minor injuries. A firefighter at the scene lost his life.
Christy Brady wrote:
Plane evacuated in 90 secs, well done.
His comment got 912 green thumbs.
3. After the killing of the French priest in Rouen last week, questions have arisen about what to do with the body of the attacker who was killed at the scene.
The Muslim community in France have refused to bury the body, saying they did not want to ‘taint’ Islam by assisting with the burial.
Andrew Vallely wrote:
His comment received 873 green thumbs.
4. A report in the Irish Independent suggested that more Irish 65-year-olds were claiming social welfare because people are forced to retire at that age, but are unable to claim the State Pension until they reach 66.
We asked if the State Pension age should be dropped back to 65.
Noel O Callaghan said:
What ever the pension age is for Politicians should be the same for all; after all they are our leaders and set an example for all to follow.
That comment received 738 green thumbs.
5. A list of Ireland’s top tourist attractions was released this week, with the Guinness Storehouse proving the most popular, followed by the Cliffs of Moher.
Sideshow Brendan wrote:
It never ceases to make me cringe when I tell foreigners that if they park at the visitor centre in the cliffs of moher they will be charged per head in the car, not a flat charge the car itself. It really is disgraceful and shows up our attitude towards tourists here. Better off to go there when the car park closes, park for free and grab a fantastic sunset.
His comment got 725 green thumbs.
The top 5 articles which received the most comments this week
1. Woman killed in London knife attack was US citizen (277 comments)
2. Trump tells Virginia mother to get crying baby ‘out of here’ (239 comments)
3. Anglo trial: Sentences of two to three-and-a-half years for trio convicted of fraudulent €7.2 billion transaction (229 comments)
4. Trump hits back at parents of dead soldier who said he had “sacrificed nothing” (220 comments)
5. There were 165 racist incidents reported in just six months in Ireland (201 comments)
A grizzly discovery!
Did he pardon Steven Avery or do we have to wait until Season 2 to find out?
Commenters were amused by a story from down under, after an Australian couple woke up to find a giant sinkhole in their back garden.
Pauliebhoy wanted to know:
Does the water go down clockwise or anticlockwise? At the risk of a booting I’m off to phone Australia
Peter keogh warned him:
Disparaging the sinkhole is a bootable offence
Following on from the story of the Emirates plane that crashed in Dubai, investigators are examining what happened.
Although the investigation is ongoing, it has been suggested that the plane experienced ‘dangerous windshear‘, a sudden change in wind speed or direction.
Al Ca said:
Incredible that everyone helped each other and all got off safely before the plane exploded… Well done to the crew and all involved. Sad to see a firefighter lost his life trying to fight the blaze.
See any good comments? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.