EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the stories you need to know as you start your day.
1. #SUTHERLAND SPRINGS: A gunman opened fire at a church in Texas, killing 26 people and injuring at least 20 more. It’s the worst mass shooting in the state’s history.
2. #SUTHERLAND SPRINGS: The gunman was killed in the incident. He has been named as Devin Kelley, a 26-year-old former Air Force official.
3. #BIRTH CERT: A Irish man was denied a Public Services Card because he’s adopted and his birth certificate isn’t considered sufficient proof of identity.
4. #ALLIES: On a trip to Japan, US President Donald Trump said the country could shoot North Korean missiles “out of the sky”. (BBC News)
5. #CRISIS SOLUTIONS: The Peter McVerry Trust has called for government to switch to a more housing-led approach towards tackling the worsening crisis.
6. #NO BRITIANS CLUB: European Union finance ministers meet without the UK in Brussels today to try to iron out their differences on plans to reform the euro.
7. #CLIMATE CHANGE: Two air quality reports published today have indicated that burning fossil fuels such as coal is the greatest threat to Ireland’s air quality.
8. #ON BAIL: Catalonia’s sacked separatist leader Carles Puigdemont and four of his former ministers were released under conditions in Belgium after handing themselves in for arrest.
9. #WHO ARE YE?: Australian politicians will have to prove they are not foreign citizens under plans proposed by the country’s conservative government.